Smiles All Round’s focus is to make the process of receiving professional health care as easy as possible.  Here are a list of our most frequently asked questions.  Our staff are here to assist you if you require further information

Do I need a referral to see a psychologist or a mental health practitioner?

No. You don’t need to have a referral but it is highly recommended that you obtain a Mental Health Treatment Plan for you or your child from the GP before your first visit as this entitles you to Medicare rebates which can reduce the out of pocket costs per session.

How can I get a Mental Health Treatment Plan?

Make an appointment to see your GP and let them know you are after a Mental Health Treatment Plan as this will usually necessitate a longer appointment. If you explain why you or your child want to visit a psychologist or mental health practitioner, most GPs will be happy to write a plan for you, although it is completely at their discretion.

How many sessions can I get a rebate for?

You can claim up to 10 session rebates in a calendar year from Medicare using a “Mental Health Treatment Plan” for psychology and counselling.

Do the Medicare rebates fully cover costs?

Unfortunately Not. Our sessions are $190 for a 50 minute session with our psychologist and the Medicare rebate is $84.80 for up to 10 sessions. There is also a plan available called a Chronic Disease Management Plan formally known as Enhanced Primary Care Plan that provides a rebate of $52.95 for up to 5 sessions.

Are you an NDIS Provider?

Yes, we are. The cost per hour for NDIS clients is $175.57.

Do you bulk bill sessions?

Unfortunately, as a private practice, we can’t afford to bulk bill sessions. We don’t have access to government support or charitable donations like a not-for-profit might. However, there are psychology services that bulk bill and these are usually run from local community health services so if the cost of our sessions is prohibitive, your local community health service may be a better option.

If I just want an assessment done, why do I have to do an intake session first?

1. We have to determine if the requested assessment is appropriate. 2. We have to meet your child to determine how many sessions we will need to complete the assessment. Some children will take longer to complete the process than others depending on their individual attention span. 3. We need to determine what the assessment is for exactly as this may affect what reports and letters are required based on the outcome of the assessment. 4. We need to obtain a developmental history of the child which is important to include in any reports in order to provide appropriate context.

How long does it take to get a report?

It takes a minimum of 4 weeks after completion of the assessment sessions to score and write the report. In most cases, our clinician will go through the report with you at a feedback session. In most cases, your child will not attend the feedback session.

What can I do if I don’t like my therapist?

Not every therapist is the perfect fit for every child, individual or family. Similarly, if the therapist feels you’d be better served by a different practitioner, that can be arranged. You can always speak to your psychologist or mental health practitioner about any concerns and they will be happy to help.

What if I feel like no progress is being made?

The first step is to let your clinician know how you feel. If you are uncomfortable doing that, you can send an email marked “Confidential” to the Practice Manager, Mandy Clark at admin@smilesallround.com.au. Your email will only be seen by Mandy and Lana-Joy Durik who is the Psychologist and Director. We will work with you to find an appropriate solution.

What do I do if I need to complain about something?

We are keen to hear about any problems you might have so please send an email marked “Confidential” to the Practice Manager, Mandy Clark at admin@smilesallround.com.au. Your email will only be seen by Mandy and Lana-Joy Durik who is the Psychologist and Director.

Can I get your practitioners to write a report for my lawyers or for the courts?

No. Our practice focusses purely on assessment and therapy. Our clinicians also don’t take sides in custody disputes and don’t provide formal recommendations regarding custody arrangements. A psychologist who works as part of the legal system would be a better option.